Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Return the second earliest date 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsouth4

Programmer
May 2, 2007
US
I'll try my best to explain what i'm trying to do. I have a report that returns several rows of data for each customer. My data is grouped by customer and I have been asked to display the minimum order date and the second order date. For example a customer that placed 4 orders but i only want to display the order dates for the first and second orders in separate columns.

Customer OrderDate
xxx 01/01/11
xxx 01/15/11
xxx 01/31/11
xxx 02/15/11

So for my example above the group footer should read. As I mentioned i'm hiding the details and grouping by customer.
Customer 1st Order Date 2nd Order Date
XXX 01/01/11 01/15/11

I tried sorting by Order placed date and creating a running total on customer however this doesn't seem to work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Use the group header instead, and drag the order date into the group header, and then create a formula for the second order date:

nthsmallest(2,{table.orderdate},{table.customer})

-LB

Actually I just realized that this isn't working 100% correctly. My data returns multiple rows for some orders in that it returns a row for each item placed. I need it to return the second date rather than the second row.

Customer OrderDate
xxx 01/01/11 12:15am
xxx 01/15/11 1:45pm
xxx 01/31/11 6:25pm
xxx 02/15/11 4:32am

Thanks,

Okay, a different approach then. Create these formulas:

//{@detail formula}:
whileprintingrecords;
datevar two;
numbervar cnt;
if onfirstrecord or
{table.customer} <> previous({table.customer}) or
date({table.orderdate}) <> date(previous({table.orderdate}) then
cnt := cnt + 1;
if cnt = 2 then
two := {table.orderdate};

//{@reset} for customer group header:
whileprintingrecords;
datevar two;
numbervar cnt;
if not inrepeatedgroupheader then(
two := date(0,0,0);
cnt := 0
);

//{@display} for the customer group footer:
whileprintingrecords;
datevar two;

Insert a minimum on {table.orderdate} for the first record, and then drag the custome groupname into the group footer and suppress the detail and group header sections.

-LB

I had to tweak your formulas slightly in order to make it a datetimevar but it worked like a charm. Thanks for your help LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back