Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Return Results Based on Max Of Another Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohioste

Technical User
Apr 21, 2009
US
Ok, so I'll first admit that I'm not a great SQL writer. I can get by with the basics and am learning more every day.

I haven't had to do this in while.

Here's my current code:

SQL:
SELECT CHCASN Carton_#, max(CEDIVT) Divert_Location, max(CECRTS) , max(CDTBPU) Units, CDSTYL||CDSSFX||CDCOLR SKU, max(trim(CDAREA)||trim(CDAISL)||trim(CDBAY)||trim(CDLEVL)||trim(CDPOSN)) Pick_Location

FROM ((CHCART00 INNER JOIN CDCART00 ON CHCASN=CDCASN) LEFT OUTER JOIN CECVIF00 ON (CHWHSE=CEWHSE) AND (CHCASN=CECASN)) INNER JOIN WDWAVE00 ON CHPRWV=WDPRWV

WHERE  (CHSTAT>'03' AND CHSTAT<'25') AND CHMIS2='' AND CHWHSE='TGL' AND (WDDOWK=1 OR WDDOWK=9)

GROUP BY CHCASN, CDSTYL||CDSSFX||CDCOLR

ORDER BY CHCASN
What I need to do is keep my current grouping but instead of max(CEDIVT), I need to take CEDIVT for the most recent date/time of CECRTS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've looked a possible solutions online but the issue is making the data work for my code and I just don't know how to translate it.

Thanks in advance.

The basic idea is that you use a derived table (or a CTE) to figure out which record you want for each item, and then join with that derived table to pull out the other data.

It's too hard to understand what your data looks like from what you posted, but I just posted a similar example in the thread "Return most recent records from table."

If you can't figure it out from there, show the structure of your table or tables.

Tamar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back