Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Return of the start Menu 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

vacunita

Programmer
Aug 2, 2001
MX
It appears that after all the hate mongering, and bashing engendered by Windows 8. Microsoft is giving users the Start Menu back.

I was never really all that bothered by the lack of Start Menu, but i guess its good that they are putting it back in some form.

Maybe this will ease some tensions about Windows Metro Interface.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Windows Secrets has a "sneak" preview of the latest build. However, we have to remember that at this point nothing is set. They can still change anything before the RC (release candidate) version.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

The Metro interface is fine for the consumer market but is utter garbage for the business community. and having to have two different versions to handle the various interfaces was also idiotic.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

2 versions of what?

Unless you were running on a tablet that has no desktop mode. All other flavors of Windows 8 could run any desktop App normally.

If you were specifically on a tablet with no desktop mode, they yes you are limited to Metro Apps. But then like with any other Tablet, you would expect specific apps for it.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

They have one version of an app for metro and a totally different version for classic. They need one codebase.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

The lack of a Start Menu was merely the tip of the iceberg. Only time will tell whether the minor changes to the UI under the banner of "Windows 9" convinces anyone that this isn't just rewarmed Windows 8.

Considering how many more significant changes under the covers prevented some shops from moving to Windows 7... a lot more time and changes deeper under the hood may result in even bigger problems and backlash as people get serious about testing Win9 before adopting it. "Features" like a rapid churn cycle with significant mandatory updates every 6 months or so may cause some real grief.

I don't think we can say anything about how well things will work out until a bit further down the road.

Found this article:

Which mentions that sometime Wednesday, today, MS is due to release a dev preview edition.

I went to the link for that here:

And started watching the video. I found it rather hilarious that they have the guy talking about the start menu, min/max/close buttons on windows, etc, as almost this amazingly new idea that they've never thought of before. I didn't watch but a little bit so far, and honestly ended up skipping past most of the beginning of the video.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

All in all from skipping through rest of video, and reading a couple of the various links about it, to me, it's sounding like Windows 10 will finally be worth buying. It looks in a way like Windows 7 vs Windows Vista, but a much bigger difference. So they basically kept some of the ideas from 8, and just stuck it inside what already worked for Windows 7.

One thing I didn't notice, need to go back and look later was whether Transparency is back like in 7, or if still removed like 8.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Some of the features sure look interesting. I guess I may give the Tech Preview a whirl later.

Multiple Desktops if it works well, is a long overdue addition to Windows. Its the only Desktop Os that does not have them natively.
Window Docking is nothing new really, but I guess its o.k if its improved.
Windowed Metro Apps is a nice touch for Desktop Mode.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

> whether Transparency is back like in 7, or if still removed like 8

Transparency all gone, except the task bar, just like 8. Basically Aero continues to be absent. And they seem to have removed visible window borders.

Not really had a much deeper look than that so far.

Ok - it's still the Vista kernel, v6.4 (Vista was 6.0, W7 6.1, W8 6.2, and W8.1 6.3)

The Task View is pretty much the static version of W7's Aero Flip (i.e Ctl Alt Tab)

>min/max/close buttons on windows, etc, as almost this amazingly new idea that they've never thought of before

The point here is that they've added these to Metro apps, so now Metro apps look (and act) pretty much like classic apps on the desktop (especially now that they've made windows borders invisible on classic apps), so making things look seamless.

It's kind of funny... .I've been saying for a couple of years...

"Yup... I can hear the Microsoft commercials now.... 'Now introducing Windows 9! We brought back the start menu! (Sorry about that)'"

Except that it's windows 10. XD

I don't understand the constant drive to change the interface. I remember reading an article a little while ago about how "the iPhone interface has been virtually unchanged since the first iPhone, leaving the IOS looking antiquated and in need of an update."

Well, the AUTOMOBILE has been using the same interface pretty much since it was invented. If it works, don't fix it!

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Thanks for the explanations? At the end of it, however, I'm just looking for a way to have a way to start an OLD app from the "command line" (e.g. "start Menu") interface to activate a start up command. Can this even be done in Win 8?

MichaelRed

Command line as in the terminal? Or you want the run command that used to be in the start menu before?

In windows 8 the terminal could be called up using the search function and searching for cmd like in win 7 and Vista before it. And you could also call up an application from the search and run it there directly.

You could also call up the Run window using the regular key combination of Windows Key + R
run-cmd-in-win-8-using-run-box.png

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

Thanks, Phil (aka vacunita).

The Win + R box does what I needed.

MichaelRed

Ah - I see Oracle have just brought out a maintenance release for VirtualBox that includes (some) W10 functionality in the guest additions. I'll have a look.

Ooh, thanks for the heads up. That was quick, it took them ages to update the Guest Additions to work with Win8.

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back