Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Return Loss fail because of water leaching through cable jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.

brushfunk1

Vendor
Mar 17, 2008
US
I have a situation using plenum systimax cat 6 used for furniture feeds that is stubbed into the deck of a building. There looks to be some water in the slab pipe. Head of pull was taped up and at least 15 feet was cut off. Upon termination noticed moisture inside cable jacket. Time from install to termination and testing <4hours. No damage to jacket pulling. All failed/marginal pass return loss test. 5 other dry pipe feeds in slab all passed clean. I know my correct fix but it would involve re-piping below terrazzo Should I be concerned about initial performance and over time?

If there is water in the cable and you just pulled it, that cable is screwed
Repull with black, filled, Cat-6 and try again

If there is a chance for water to infiltrate the pipes in the future, including the ones that were dry, then not just the ones that failed, but all the cables should be changed to a suitable water blocked type Cat 6 (there are some differences among products with regard to jacketing/water blocking) and it should be fire rated riser or plenum as appropriate to the entire run. If no future water infiltration can be expected, can the pipes be blown dry? If so, you can re-run with the same type as the original cable. Long term immersion in water is a death sentence for cables without an appropriate water block even if they initially work.

If it's in slab you shouldn't use your everyday Cat 6 cable: it's not manufactured for that environment and I would be surprised if an Electrical Inspector would allow it! Use the correct cable for wet locations.

Thanks all for confirming my fears. I will propose to customer to re-pull with outdoor rated and back charge EC for not using waterproof EMT fittings or rigid.

I will propose to customer to re-pull with outdoor rated and back charge EC for not using waterproof EMT fittings or rigid."

Can you prove the EC didn't? While the slab was poured but before the walls and ceiling were installed...exposed to the outdoor elements (rain, perhaps?).
Beside it doesn't sound like you installed the correct cable in the first place. Someone else shouldn't have to pay for your error.

Just be sure that whatever cable is pulled complies with electrical code fire/smoke rating requirements for your situation (i.e. dual outdoor/indoor rated riser or plenum as opposed to non-rated outdoor only cables).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back