Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

return code 7 nsrmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

pporteau

Technical User
Jan 30, 2007
FR
Hello

In which case nsrmon return a code 7 .
I am not be able to find an explicite answer.

best regards

Can you please supply a bit more input?

dear Instructor

When I start a NDMP backup on FAS 270 on a NDMP tape reader ( reader is connected directly with FC on the FAS)
all worked nice, but very very very slow.
The command is
nsrndmp_save -LL T dump

When
nsrndmp_save -M -LL T dump for use on classic tape reader ( I had modified the configuration on the tape reader on the FAS ). The Networker Server try to speak on TCP PORT 111 , on the FAS like a standart client ?

What is a "NDMP tape reader"? - at least NW does not have such function? And there was only one hit on Netapp's page, point to one PDF with a single instance of this "tape reader".

And why to you want to write (save) to a "tape reader"?.

Sorry, but your info does not make any sense to me yet.

Dear Instructor

When You configure a tape reader with NWADMIN on NETWORKER SERVER , You need to spécified ( NDMP = YES or NO ).
On server Networker, the client is denined with command :
nsrndmp_save -LL T dump

and on application information you put
HIST=Y DIRECT=Y UPDATE=Y
This is wrote on "NETWORKER CLIENT NDMP SETTING".
This command work only on a NDMP devices tapes reader .

But with option -M , you can make a NDMP dump on a classis tape reader .
I need to make a backup on tape to export data and keep them 2 years

o.k. What you call a "tape reader" actually is called a "device" in NW. If you mix terminologies, how do you expect someone to understand you?

Of course, if you want the device to be controlled by NDMP, you must configure it as NDMP device. The actual backup core command would be "nsrndmp_save -T dump ...."
Are sure that you have set the "-" in front of the "T"?

If you want to backup to a NON-NDMP device, you must add the option "-M" to the command above. But this means that the data must be sent via the network as you should not be able to define such device at an NDMP filer. I doubt that this is even possible.

------------------------------------------------------

Coming back now to your original question: "Why does nsrmon fail". Actually, i do not know yet.

If enabled, the NW server monitors devices (nsrmon) and restarts the appropriate daemon, if neccessary. For that purpose, the two NW client programs have to communicate. However, on a NDMP filer (NDMP device), no such one exists. I do not know what nsrmon will do in this case. It will probably launch a nsrmmd 'helper' at the NW server. And yes, it will also monitor those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back