Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Return a value from a report?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trezlub

Programmer
May 2, 2003
GB
I am running a Crystal Report from VB6 which produces a financial report. I wish to return the final grand total back from the report to VB and then stuff it in a variable. Is this possible? In other words, can Crystal return values. I am populating Crystal by linking it to a stored procedure from SQL Server 2000.

I'm not sure if you can, but it might be simpler and more efficient to write another stored proc that returns the grand total calculation straight to VB.

-dave

That is basically what I did in the end for want of a better solution. It seems very limiting to me that a value cannot be returned. This now means if any logic is altered in calculating this value I then have to alter the logic in two places rather than the one, which is poor for maintenance. Surely someone has come across this before and has maybe even found a way to do this. Thanks for your help anyway

Crystal is a reporting tool....not a DB management tool

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

Jim Broadbent? Did you play 'Roy Slater' in Only Fools and Horses? That DelBoy is a nutter isn't he?!

Sorry....while I like seeing my name up for Acedemy Awards...I am not THE Jim Broadbent of acting fame :)

Jim Broadbent

The quality of the answer is directly proportional to the quality of the problem statement!

and I was gonna ask for an autograph too. Never mind. Cheers for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back