Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

retrospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmac13

Technical User
Sep 26, 2002
US
i'm relatively new to this game, so here's an advance apology for my ignorance... :)

we just got retrospect 5.0 to do some of our backups. this came with clients for osx and windows, so those are easy enough. we also want to back up a couple of linux/solaris boxes (only certain directories). since retrospect 5.0 doesn't come with a client for *nix, do i just export the directories i want to backup and keep them mounted on our backup server, thus backing it up as a local file?

thanks for any help...

Retrospect 6.0 includes Unix client software. Maybe you can return the 5.0 version, or just buy the upgrade. If not, write a batch file that will copy the Unix data to the Windows client, and backup the files from there.

I have a general question...

We've about 1500 user desktops (WinXP, NT, Macs, and 'nix boxes) spanning over multiple subnets. We want to backup to NAS units and then archive to tapes. We have huge amounts of data that needs to be backed up...

Veritas is very expensive...I'm looking at Retrospect from Dantz...Anyone has any opinion on Retrospect? How it compares with Veritas' software performance wise? etc...

Thanks.

We've used samba to create shares on unix boxes so that they can be backed up on a 2000 box. Don't know if your backup software can handle that but it might be an interim step before moving to a later version if need be.

Cub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back