Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrive data from Laptop HD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattWray

Technical User
Nov 2, 2001
US
We have a customer who reportedly has a bad laptop. Now I don't know first hand what might be wrong, but is there any way to retrieve the data from the hard drive?
Any help is appreciated! Thanks,

Matt Wray

depending on how bad it is and what OS it has, you can use one software or another, or none at all if it is really bad.
thera re tools aout there like easy recovery, others like NTFSPro thate nables you top read ntfs partitions from DOS...but it depends on the OS and how bad it really is. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Mattwray,

Depending on the laptop it may be possible to take the HD out and piggy back it onto a desktop PC by using the CD IDE cable. Once the PC boots you should have a d: drive containing the contents of the laptop HD.

On some laptop HD it is necassary to unscrew the pin posts where the HD slides into the laptop. I know compaq laptops are like this. Once you unscrew the posts you will be able to see if the pinout is IDE or a proprietary interface. Even if the interface is not IDE you may be able to take the interface piece off and find an IDE connection underneath.

Hope this helps.

ABM101

Most of the laptop hard drives don't have the standard IDE interface. When I just need the data off of a drive, I use an adapter to connect the laptop hard drive to a PC and copy the data like adm101 said. You can get an adapter from part # 250-convert-ide a whopping $3.50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back