Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieving User Account info from NT Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brice

Programmer
Dec 16, 2000
US
Scenario: I have a VB6 app running on an NT workstation that makes an API call to an NT server to retrieve user account info for the purpose of programmatically setting user rights within the app itself (example: Enabling/disabling the Delete button or Save button based on a user group). It works fine using the development server and workstations, but it doesn't retrieve the information when I install and run on a test server and workstation at the customer site.

The difference between the two environments, to the best of my knowledge, is the development server is part of a domain, and the server at the customer site is not, it is a stand alone server.

Question: I realize there are differences in the way a server is configured for a domain and for stand alone, but could the fact that the server at the customer site is not part of a domain be preventing the API function from retrieving information about the user from the server?

Hello,

do you use the global or local groups in you're app?
A standalone server doesn't have global groups.
In a domain you add users to a global group of the domain and the global domain-user groups to the local server groups which hold the effective Privilegs for the server.
I don't know which api's you use. but imo you have to log on to the server itself and use the local groups and not to the server

HTH
Karpi
<fluctuat nec mergitur>

At both the customer site and on the development server, we use local groups on the server. I don't have the name of the API function handy (I'm not at work), but basically what it does is it retrieves all the local groups that a user is a member of on the server.

I set up the groups exactly the same way in both places. There are 4 groups with one user in each of them (Test users).
The logon to the server seems to work fine. It's when the app is started and tries to retrieve user account info from the server via the API call, that the error occurs.

Thanks, I can always use more sources of good information.

I think I solved this problem. It wasn't an NT problem, but instead turned out to be programmatic. I had a compile time constant that needed to be set properly before compiling for the customer site so that it would point to the correct server. I forgot to change it before I compiled and installed at the customer site.

I appreciate your suggestion. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back