Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieving the source of a webpage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supra

Programmer
Dec 6, 2000
US
I've tried using LWP to get the source of a webpage, but I keep getting an error. This makes me think my server doesn't support LWP (Netfirms.com). Is there any other way to retrieve the source from a webpage other than LWP? All I need is something simple like:

$URL = "$HTM = GET blah blah blah

I'm new to Perl so any advice one can give would be great.

Nope, no dice.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use CGI::Carp 'fatalsToBrowser';

use warnings;
use strict;

use lib '/mnt/web_i/d26/s15/b01eb8dc/[URL unfurl="true"]www/modules/';[/URL]
use CGI qw/:standard/;
use LWP::Simple;

print header, start_html();

my $to_get = "[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.yahoo.com";[/URL]
my @caught = get($to_get);

print "Printing source..\n";

foreach(@caught) {
	print;
}
Just says "Printing source.." still. Is it me or am I destined never to be able to do this?

Code:
[cgi-bin]$ cat test.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl

use warnings;
use strict;

my @caught = get("$to_get");
print @caught;

This is the code that worked for me

--Paul

This line:
Code:
[cgi-bin]$ cat test.pl
Threw a 500 error at me. Once I took it out, it's the same code I used before. Has anyone else had this problem?

I contacted Netfirms Support to inquire about LWP and they told me "LWP is not supported at this time.". So I responded and asked about IO::Socket and gave them my error and the exact code I used and they replied "Please check our Supported Perl Modules list". IO::Socket is in the list. Now I'm installing the Perl modules from and hoping this will work. Maybe it's time for a different server :\

Ok still nothing shows up on the page. No errors or anything, just no content. Could it be a problem with the Simple.pm file I got from SourceForge? Or, should I use a method other than Simple? This is driving me nuts - I'm so close yet so far. Thanks again to everyone who's helped me. Without your help I would've thrown my machine out by now ;)

Supra

Your script seems to work fine!?

What happens if you run this:-

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

$document = get("[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.google.com");[/URL]

print $document;

Kind Regards
Duncan

Absolutely nothing. It prints the Netfirms header at the top of the page, but nothing else at all. I'm telling you, it's because I had to install LWP locally. Here's the code I'm FORCED to use since Netfirms doesn't support LWP:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

$document = get("[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.google.com");[/URL]

print $document;
I tried using an IO::Socket::INET example last night, but I kept getting some kind of timeout.

I moved the script to a different server and tried everything listed in this forum. Can you guess the result? IT STILL DOESN'T WORK! This is crazy. I did see that one of the methods titles the page as "Untitled Document" and the other leaves the title as " which I'm sure you can figure out is the path to the new server and script. The only logical conclusion I can come to is that free servers with Perl support have some sort of restriction against LWP. ProHosting DOES show LWP in the supported module list. I'll do some more research on it and let you know if I find anything out. Thanks again for your repeated help!!!!

Supra

The ProHosting URL doesn't work for me...

just gives:-

Code:
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 
Free Web Hosting | Web Hosting - ProHosting.com - Sign Up!

Game Server Hosting | Managed Server Hosting 

Printing source..

Kind Regards
Duncan

That's pretty much the point :|
I moved the script to a different server and tried everything listed in this forum. Can you guess the result? IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!
I'm just in awe that it doesn't work on 2 commonly used free servers that support Perl. Especially ProHosting, since it supports LWP. I may just can the whole idea.

PS.. the inserted advertisement code does NOT appear when downloading the file via FTP, which means it is only inserted when the file is run. For a second I thought that was why my Perl scripts were not working, but if this was the case, they would definitely error out instead of showing "Printing source.." and then nothing.

Works perfectly. NetFirms and ProHosting suck. What code did you use to do that? Probably the same I used :(

weird?

I used this EXACT code - I had to take off the bottom of your script as it caused an error

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use warnings;

my @caught = get($to_get);

print @caught;

Kind Regards
Duncan

I'm off out now for a few hours - good luck!

Kind Regards
Duncan

Nope. Looks like yours only because the "Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" shows up top, and the page is titled "Untitled Document", but no source. Must be because I uploaded the Perl modules locally. Maybe I did it wrong. I created a folder named modules in the I wasn't allowed to create a folder where cgi-bin folders reside. I uploaded all the Perl modules for to the modules folder (including folder names such as HTTP and LWP). Then I added the line
Code:
to use the modules in the folder. So my EXACT code is:
[code}
#!/usr/bin/perl

use lib '/mnt/web_i/d26/s15/b01eb8dc/

use warnings;

my $to_get = "my @caught = get($to_get);

print @caught;
[/code]
But no dice. I'm starting to think about paying for web hosting. I can't really afford it if it's $10/month since I have a crapload of other bills plus rent, but it might be the only thing I can do to get this working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back