Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

retrieving rs232 data from a printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

leocarter

Programmer
Jul 8, 2003
US
I need to solve this: I have a computer hosting a Chemical equipment that send reports to an old printer. I want this data as a rs232 string to be captured in another computer where is going to be set in a lims program. All this is to automatize a medical laboratory and I feel is the best for the data goes easy and when is necessary. This printer has a parallel entry and a serial 25 card.May I use this card to get the string. How?. Am I wrong?
Thanks for help
leocarter

This sounds like a classic case of calling Black Box and letting their techs solve your problem and charge you full retail, then you will know the tricks next time.

Black Box Corporation - Tech Support and Ordering: 724-746-5500

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Leo when I know how to do a job I do (I have not needed Black Box since I needed Fiber optic RS 485 solutions in 1997) but when I am clueless (because the need is rare) they are who I turn to. I am guessing they will take the parralel from the Computer and convert it to serial then split it and feed the printer serial and the logger serial, if I have mis understood and the printer is already using serial the problem is much easier. (Metalurgical lab here)

Leo, before you come in a forum and bash a regular, helpful user in your THIRD post ever, it might be worth your while to watch and learn.

I did not see it as bashing, although it may have been frustrating to him to be told buy an expert opinion, SOMEone is going to have to torture out of him, the brand of computer and printer, the cabling connecting them, the method to get serial data into his LIMS system. (I have mine down to 9 serial inputs, but I have been buying IP enabled equipment since 1998)

As far as being new, we were all new once and survived it, telling him he was in the Cable Modem Networking Forum rather than the Cabling Forum would not have solved his problem.

If his solution does not use a data tap (Black Box parts FA140A through FA157A) I will be surprised, It may also need protocol conversion, but I have not tortured anywhere near enough information out of him to guess part numbers.

Some printers will allow a Hex dump of incoming data.I use to work for Genicom and all the 44xx series could do this.
Another idea call the printer vendor,OR consult the technical manual(s). When all else fails read the manual.

Regards,
Ex printer tech

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Public Safety-DMV
Network Operations

I don't know why, to give thanks for an advertising (obviously is one)may disturb somebody. I did open black box page and it looked great to me. I think I'm just keeping in mind how I was teached by some qualified members of this site to be grateful. If I needed a professional, surely, I didn't use this site. I have nothing against them. Even, If I was helped and after that I was driven to a professional deal, probably I was agree.
Anyway, I'm trying to help myself and I bougth in Ebay a serial-parallel converter(I conclude that before)and i'll start tests soon. I'll let you know if need your data tap or my advances.
Thanks again.

Thanks to me!
I did it and no thanks to commercial or arrogance helping.
I put a computer to capture printer data in a pretty good way, no needing boxes or taps.
If anyone needs to know how, just post and I'll let you do it free of costs.
Again, thanks leocarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back