Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieving OtlkExpress mail folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiej

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
GB
HI,

I have just deleted a mail folder in my outlook express - using the shift key.So I guess it had totally gone for good.Is there, though, any slight chance or way whatsoever to attempt to get the foler back.I deleted it by mistake.

I know that surly the data itself is still on the HDD, but is probably space that gets marked a free space now and will eventually get used for temp files etc....but nonetheless is there some undelete progam I could use?

Thanks for any help you can offer....

Steven

just similated the same thing as you did and it was in the deleted items folder but says the action cannot be undone so deleted the file and nope couldnt retrieve it best thing to dop is duplicate the folders you have and make copies if important mail to them if you delete the original by mistake you will still have the copies sorry could not solve if you do get a fix please inform me

To compact and back up e-mail folders

Select an e-mail folder.
On the File menu, point to Folder, and then click Compact.
To back up the folder, find the folder file, and then copy it to a backup folder, floppy disk, or network drive. Outlook Express e-mail folders have a .dbx extension (for example, "Sent Items.dbx").
Notes

Some message files might be too large to back up onto a floppy disk.
If you are using a program other than Outlook Express to send e-mail messages to newsgroups, check your e-mail program's documentation for information about compacting and deleting e-mail folders.

hi,

thanks very much for the help. I think I will use the backup feture more often!

However I did get them back in the fisrt place anyway. I tried some undelete software, one of which (FinalEmail from downloads.com) would have worked a treat except it was a demo as usual and doesnt actually allow you to undeltet, only view what could be undeleted.The other, a demo again, can once again show you what there is to udelete and can backup to a file. So I managed to get back the .dbx file. After some messing around I managed to recreate the deleted folder, delted the associated .dbx and replace it with the retrieved one and made sure the name were the same again. Didnt work first couple of times, then it did, so i was happy!

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

hi,

thanks very much for the help. I think I will use the backup feture more often!

However I did get them back in the fisrt place anyway. I tried some undelete software, one of which (FinalEmail from downloads.com) would have worked a treat except it was a demo as usual and doesnt actually allow you to undeltet, only view what could be undeleted.The other, a demo again, can once again show you what there is to udelete and can backup to a file. So I managed to get back the .dbx file. After some messing around I managed to recreate the deleted folder, delted the associated .dbx and replace it with the retrieved one and made sure the name were the same again. Didnt work first couple of times, then it did, so i was happy! My deleted mails were visible in the correct mail folder hanging of the inbox. Incidentally this all started by not having the focus on the email I tried to delete but having insted the focus on the mail folder. Now, this deleted the folder, but if you have the focus on the Inbox folder, you can still delete the greyed email in the email list. It doesnt delete the inbox folder i guess because it is the top one and put there permantely by OE. So there you go!

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back