Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

retrieving DBF files, from another server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmd0252

Programmer
May 15, 2003
OK,, I have the "designer", on my machine. I map a drive to where the DBF files are located, and can write and run reports. How do I translate this connectivity to the Enterprise Web Server. No password is required, it is a "flat DBF file", I have an ODBC setup on the Enterprise machine. It is to a "mapped drive", I have tried various setting,, for the database logon,, I always get the same error,, "database login is either incomplete or incorrect. ANY IDEAS are welcome.. even ones I should have already tried..

ok tried several variations of it,, always get the same message

Check to be sure that the service account that is running the BO services has the rights to access that database. It could be that the 'local' service on that machine may not have the rights needed.

Both servers are signed on via admistrator,,,both have the same password.. the crystal server,, admin password is different, then how the machine is "log-on". And I do not know the answer to this question,, would the services be running under the crystal admin, or "signon" admin. I have been testing the report,, thru the CMC,, changing pieces and parts,, under the process, database section, there the settings are for ODBC,, server name, database, user, password. I think I have tried every combination I can think of. I can get it "fudged", so it does not connect to the machine at all,, but never can get past the security message. Like I said,, ANY ideas are welcome. And on the crystal server, I have setup an ODBC configuration to the secondary machine.

I had a similar issue - changing the services log on account information fixed the problem.
To see what account the crystal server services are using ... go into the central configuration manager - this shows which services are running; check the Central Management Server for example, by double-clicking it and look on the bottom of the 'properties' tab. What user id is listed here? Is it a user that has full permissions to the folder of the database? If not, you can change it to the domain admin and see if that helps or uncheck it completely. The services that would need this change are
CMS
Job Server
Page Server
Report Application Server

Does this help?

ok finally got back to the machines to look,, every thing says "local user",, which I would think would be the way the server is "signed on".. changed the security on the DBF machine to allow administrator/domain, etc etc to connect. So lets see what happens..

That is how all of my other services that are not listed are set - to local user. And I bet the local user of that machine does not have rights to the database on the other server. I look forward to hearing back with some good news......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back