Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieving an unsaved file

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMRob

MIS
Nov 19, 2002
US
I have a friend who lost her document while using WP because she did not save it. She called me and asked if there was a way she could get it back. I told her that,I have not heard of a way to retrieve unsaved files. So, if anyone knows of a way to get her file back would you please respond. Thank you.
[medal]

You generally can't retrieve unsaved files, but you could check the Backup file in the Corel\Wordperfect folder. The following will only be of help in the future.

You can designate any file folder to be your backup folder in WP. Go to Tools, Settings, Files and enter any number of one or greater and choose a backup folder. The default backup folder is c:\My Documents. I leave a disk in the floppy drive and use that for my timed backup instead. The document seems to disappear if you exit WP without saving. If there is a crash of any kind, while the document is still open, it will remain in the backup folder and you can retrieve it directly from the backup folder by double clicking it or by opening WP.

You generally can't retrieve unsaved files, but you could check the Backup file in the Corel\Wordperfect folder. The following will only be of help in the future.

You can designate any file folder to be your backup folder in WP. Go to Tools, Settings, Files and enter any number of one or greater and choose a backup folder. The default backup folder is c:\My Documents. I leave a disk in the floppy drive and use that for my timed backup instead. The document seems to disappear if you exit WP without saving. If there is a crash of any kind, while the document is still open, it will remain in the backup folder and you can retrieve it directly from the backup folder by double clicking it or by opening WP.

Thanks so much for the confirmation. I already told my friend the same info and helped her set-up her backup. I also pointed out the importance of saving before you minimize your windows. She forgot what she was doing while searching for info on the net. Thanks again.

[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back