Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieving a Value from a String 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bebbo

Programmer
Dec 5, 2000
GB
If I have an example code as below the messgebox displays 1. How can I get it to display 0.5. Proble I have is that I have certain strings which could be 0.5, 1.6, 3.4 etc... I want to convert these strings to a number so that calculations can take place. It appears that I lose the percentage.

If I use Int(Val(aa)) the messagebox displays 0.

aa = "0.5"
b = val(aa)
messagebox(str(b))

beddo

How about
messagebox(TRANSFORM(B))

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

beddo

Or even more acurately:

messagebox(TRANSFORM(B,"99.9"))

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Mike

Thanks I've never used Transform before. Just checked it on the Microsoft Help, should be fine.

bebbo,
aa = "0.5"
b = val(aa)

You already done it... but when you put that
value to a string use: str(b,5,2) instead of str(b)

hope this works...

Agit Permana (08561052915)
Mitra Solusi Pratama, PT

beddo

You will find transform to be quite usefull. It will tranform anything into a character:
MESSAGEBOX(TRANSFORM(.t.))
MESSAGEBOX(TRANSFORM(DATE()))
MESSAGEBOX(TRANSFORM(99))
MESSAGEBOX(TRANSFORM(DATETIME()))

Mike Gagnon

Thanks

I do appear to have another problem. I've got string values say "0.5". I've also got a Number Filed value in a table (qty).

Should I try and update the field with the string value, as below, the filed is updated with 0. How can I get it to update with 0.5, thanks

REPLACE PACK.Qty WITH Val(TmpQty)

Forget my last message, it's sorted. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back