Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieve station data using SNMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccaprio

Technical User
Feb 1, 2003
CA
I have the MIB for communication manager,is there a way to get a stations data from the PBX?

If you open the mib you see the following

g3station
->g3stationEntry
-->g3stationExtension
-->g3stationType
-->g3stationName
etc......

g3stationExtension has a lock symbol beside it if you use a MIB browser like iReason but it's access is readonly not "not-accessible".
Also the description of this is "A DisplayString Object that uniquely identifies an administered station.

Yes, you can extract station data via SNMP. I have not used iReason, but I have used net-snmp (snmpget, snmpwalk, etc.) on the CM server and on other computers to access data from CM systems.
I assume the extension is read-only because it is the "key" to the record. But it and all the other station-related data should be readable.

steve

How would I go about doing this using net-snmp?

I don't have access to a CM right now, but approximately this:
If you don't have the MIB installed:
snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost .1.3.6.1.4.1.6889.2.8.1.11
if you do have the MIB installed:
snmpwalk -v1 -c public localhost g3-mib.g3station

You probably also want g3statsta (replace 11 with 12), and maybe g3stationcfg (replace 11 with 42)

Remember to replace "public" with the correct community string.
You can modify the output format with various '-O...' options on the commandline, do a 'man snmpcmd'.

steve

Does this return every stations data or is it possible to extract just a particular extension?

Thanks for your help.

You can retrieve rows in the table one-at-a-time, but I don't believe that you can query, based on a key. You can stop once you have all the rows you are interested in.
I also suggest that you experiment with snmptable - a net-snmp command that makes it easier to extract & use tabular SNMP data.
Also remember that snmp commands are much faster than one-record-at-a-time SAT commands.

steve

Sorry to be a pain but I just get a return command prompt. I can walk through everything else.

Here is what I am entering.
./snmpwalk -v1 -c <snmp read string> <ipaddress> .1.3.6.1.4.1.6889.2.8.1.11

But if I change the OID to .1.3.6.1.4.1.6889.2.8.1.7 I get info returned. So I know it is not a rights issue.

Any idea's? Avaya isn't much help here in Canada

+ try "-t 6 -r 7" on the commandline to increase the timeout period and the retry count
+ look at /var/log/snmpd.log and /var/log/messages for error messages
+ if you have a maint. contract or are under warranty, I'd cut a Maestro ticket

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back