Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieve Rows based on distinct value 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xikenx

Programmer
Feb 8, 2003
US
Hi All, I hope someone can help me out with this query.

Lets say I have a table with 4 columns. Person ID, Friend's Last Name, Friend's Number.

Each person id has at least 2 friends, some have different last names and some have same last names. For example, person 1 can have John Doe, Jane Doe, Billy Bob as friends and person 2 can have Sam Wise, Peter Piper, Jane Doe as friends... so the table would look like this:

person id friend's last name friend's number
1 Doe 5555551212
1 Doe 5555555555
1 Bob 5551565555
2 Wise 5155556532
2 Piper 1532565152
2 Doe 5238545623

I am trying to figure out how to select ONLY ONE friend for each Person ID. I don't care who I select, I just want to pick one friend. Using the above example, my result could be:
person id friend's last name friend's number
1 Doe 5555551212
2 Wise 5155556532

I can figure out one way of doing this, using cursors. But can I do this without cursors?

> I don't care who I select, I just want to pick one friend.

Then try simple MIN() or MAX() query...

------
[small]<this is sig>
select stuff(stuff(replicate('<P> <B> ', 14), 109, 0, '<.'), 112, 0, '/')
</this is sig>[/small]
[banghead]

>>> <this is sig>

BAHAHAHAHAHA

I was just telling a friend at work about the person who added your sig select to the code you wrote for them :)

If I use min(), max() query as such:

select [person id], min([friend's last name] 'last name', min([friend's number]) 'number'
from tblTable
group by [person id]

this would return me mininum values for friend's last name and friend's number for each person id. For a person id, friend's last name might not be returned with his/her correct number.

I was thinking about:

Code:
select T.*
from tblTable T
inner join
(	select [person id], min([friend's number]) as maxfNumber
	from tblTable
	group by [person id]
) T2
on T.[person id] = T2.[person id] and T.[friend's number] = T2.maxfNumber

This assumes friend's number is unique per PersonID.

Btw. there are situations when picking "any record" with MIN/MAX is not good because some rows are automatically "preferred". If you need "any random record", that's another story.

------
[small]<this is sig>
select stuff(stuff(replicate('<P> <B> ', 14), 109, 0, '<.'), 112, 0, '/')
</this is sig>[/small]
[banghead]

Thank you for your quick and helpful replies.
The example I used was a condensed and simplified version of multiple tables I needed to work with , and friend's number wasn't unique to the person... but there was a unique value other than the phone number that did work as well. Thank you again Denis and Vongrunt for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back