Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieve calls from DAT III? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilroy

Technical User
Jan 18, 2005
US
Looking for a solution to retrieve calls from library of DAT 3 tapes. We have a single deck NiceLogger V-7x.
I recently replaced the tape drive for the 2nd time.
With the increasing demand on retrieving data from the old tapes - it takes a toll on the tape drive - not to mention time involved in stopping archiving to retrieve. Any suggestions? Also - any ideas about setting up a PC with a seperate DAT 3 drive to do the trick? Not sure how the communications would work between tape drive, Nice .

What you want is the Remote Tape Server (RTS) or a Reproducer from Nice, but as you are on version 7.x you will find it impossible to get because Nice does not sell or support that version any more. I can tell you what the nice option for your logger is, "buy a new logger".

My suggestion is to buy a secondhand logger from someone (like me) and use it to playback your calls.

Ben

See if you can add a 2nd deck onto the logger - you can then set one for retrieval, and the other for archive. 7.x I believe is still supported for 1 more year, but I don't think they'll sell this software anymore (RTS). Talk to your sales person and they should be able to set you up with a 2nd drive.

Sorry to say, you can not officially upgrade anything older than version 8.5 and adding a tape drive from Nice to your system would be considered an upgrade.

7.x is supported for bugs only, not hardware.

You can buy a tape drive off the open market (NOT nice) and install it. If I remember correctly the DDS3 drive would work on your version (dos), but not on 8.x (NT) as a DDS3 needs special firmware that’s not available.

Ben

Well...there kinda is a way to "hack" it to make it work...but I won't get into that, plus it's probably frowned upon by NICE and you still have the issue of acquring a DAT drive, which does have a special firmware (as denoted by an NI at the end of the model #).

Apparently, DDS3's have reach EOL also so you might have a hard time getting one.

under 7.x s/w the DAT f/w is not an issue it is only >8.1 where the checksum is used.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

The checksum is used in the 8.x to prevent unauthorized upgrades. It takes information regarding the # of channels you have (input/output), serial number and a few other hardware parameters.

The firmware used on the DAT drives is something different. A special firmware was developed for NICE because of the way the drives were being utilized. If I remember correctly, 8.x also uses the special firmware on the DAT drives also. (you can tell by looking at the model number - it will say something like SDT-9000/NI instead of SDT-9000)

The f/w is not special it is the standard audio streaming DAT f/w but NICE had the CHECKSUM changed to prevent people from upgrading locally purchased DAT drives. I know this because I worked for NICE and have the f/w.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back