Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retired 5.5 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevstar

Programmer
Nov 21, 2001
GB
I have installed a new E2K server on the network. I migrated the mailboxes and then uninstalled exchange 5.5 from the old server. Mail flows OK and generally Exchange is fine. But in the error log on the E2K server I get the following error:

Source: MSExchange Id: 9318
An RPC Communications error occured. Unable to bind over RPC. Locality table(LTAB) index: 155, windows 2000/MTA error code: 1753. comms errpr 1753, bind error 0 remote server name [Old Exchange 5.5 server] [MAIN BASE 1 300%10](14)

When I open the Exchange 2000 ESM the old 5.5 server is still there only in white as well as the running E2K server in colour. I cannot change any settings of the 5.5 server and more importantly I cannot remove the 5.5 server. Exchange will also not let me change to Native mode.

What I am hoping is that once I remove the 5.5 server from the Exchange 2K ESM (or AD) then these errors will go. The problem is the 5.5 server installation has long gone.

Does anyone know how I can go about removing this server from AD without a current 5.5 installation?

Thanks in advance for your help

Kev

Change Mode Button Inactive in Organization Properties Dialog Box After Upgrading Exchange 5.5 Service Pack 3 to Exchange 2000 Server or Exchange Server 2003

Site Replication Service (SRS) still exists in the Exchange organization .

XADM: How to Remove the Last Exchange Server 5.5 Computer from an Exchange 2000 Administrative Group :

Thankyou for the reply. I have read the two attached support articles and tried to follow them through but I keep hitting the same problem that is I dont have an Exchange 5.5 server anymore. The exchange software got uninstalled. This means that I cannot complete the instructions that the articles tell me to do. I cannot open admin.exe on the exchange 5.5 box because it doesnt exist.

If there is no possible way of removing the old Exchange 5.5 server from AD then what would be the consequenses of physically removing the old 5.5 server from the network. Would this stop Exchange 2000 running?

Thanks in advance for your help

Kev

Does anybody have any ideas here?

I have exactly the same problem. Its been a long time since we upgraded Exchange 5.5 to 2000. Old server is long gone physically, but is still visible in the system manager and this application log event is showing up every 10 minutes:

Source: MSExchange Id: 9318
An RPC Communications error occured. Unable to bind over RPC. Locality table(LTAB) index: 155, windows 2000/MTA error code: 1753. comms errpr 1753, bind error 0 remote server name [Old Exchange 5.5 server] [MAIN BASE 1 300%10](14)

I cannot seem to find any solutions from MS.

Appreciate any input.

I found this information on XADM:How to Manually Remove a Single Exchange-based Server from Active Directory - Q278918. I found it via this link

ldp.exe is the active directory administration snap in from the Windows 2000 support tools.

Thanks, alicep! I haven't seen this article before.

Has anyone used this solution for deleting old exchange server from AD through ldp? Anything that I need to be concerned/worried about?

I am trying to be as cautios as possible here and don't want to damage our AD installation.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back