Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retention with SQL Transaction Log backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyklops

Technical User
Apr 24, 2002
NL
Can anyone explain how retention with the iData Agent for Microsoft SQL Server exactly works with Incremental Policies ?
From my understanding a Full database backup and all succeeding Transaction Log (TL) backup form a cycle. When starting a new Full database backup the new cycle starts, just like a file system backup. What I can see on the Media contents and the data aging forecasting reports is that all TL backups remain on the media. The forecast reports will tell me that the TL backups are being retained due to a REQ_BY_JOB or REQ_BY_MEDIA message.

What am I missing here ?

You need the deleteSqlLogBackups script, contact customer support.

Description: Utility to delete the SQL log backups that are older than the user specified time.
This is useful to allow media to be recycled when a lot of log backups are being kept by jobs marked for extended retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back