Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retaining PASSWORD

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulS

MIS
Nov 23, 1998
US
I am using IE4.0. My Dial-up connection will not retain a 7 digit password. I've tried:<br>
IE4.0<br>
- View Options<br>
- Connections<br>
- &quot;To change settings...&quot;<br>
- Selected &quot;Connect using modem...&quot;<br>
- &quot;Settings&quot;<br>
- Entered password<br>
- Clicked &quot;Apply&quot;<br>
When I returned to this screen, my password has disappeared.<br>
Any ideas?

If you have more than one dial-up connection, it will only save the password that is the default. Try making this connection the default. If you have more than one dialup connection that you don't need, delete them and make this connection your default, then re-enter your password and it should save it then.<br>
<br>
mblyde

I have only one dial-up connection, it is the default and it still does not retain password info. Could using a 0 (zero) as the first digit be causing the problem? If so, I will have to contact my ISP to have it changed. Never heard of any particular digit causing a problem with passwords.<br>
<br>
Thanks, mblyde

That is possible, most programs don't like zeros as the first digit, but I've never heard of that problem with DUN. Another thing that I would suggest is try deleting the connection in Dial-Up Networking and then add it again. If this doesn't work, try re-installing Dial up Networking.<br>
<br>
When the connection box opens when you open IE, can you check the &quot;Save Password&quot; Box or is it greyed out?<br>
<br>
If you can check it, do so, if not, delete the connection and then redo it.<br>
<br>
Also, It is a good idea not to have it connect automatically because it doesn't give you the chance to check the username and password tomake sure that they are correct, so I would also make sure that you are not connecting automatically.<br>
<br>
I hope this will help.<br>
<br>
mblyde

I have tried deleting the Dial-up connection, deleting Dial-up Networking, have checked "Save Password", not checked Connect Auto.<br>
BUT I will give it another shot, and start at square one.<br>
Thanks.<br>

You could also try and reinstall the client in the network window in the control panel (either Microsoft Family Logon or Client for Microsoft Networks) <p>Ladin<br><a href=mailto:matchu_14@hotmail.com>matchu_14@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Tech support for 1 1/2 years, build computers, messed with C, HTML, Working on Flash, Role-Playing Game Junkie (Diablo2)

YEAH!!!!!!...ummm.....y password....YEAH!!! [sig]<p>Ladin<br><a href=mailto:matchu_14@hotmail.com>matchu_14@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Tech support for 1 1/2 years, build computers, messed with C, HTML, Working on Flash, Role-Playing Game Junkie (Diablo2)[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back