Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retaining formview values after insert

Status
Not open for further replies.

roblasch

Programmer
Dec 30, 2000
US
I have a formview that I am using to add, update and insert data into a database. Everything is fine, with one exception. I need to enter similiar records with minor changes (one field per record). So after an insert, instead of arriving at a blank form, ready for a new entry, I would like to present the form will all of the values from the previous insert in the form fields. But the submit button needs to trigger another insert.

I would use session variables to hold the values previously entered, then repopulate the objects with the session variables when an Insert needs to be done.

Jim

Or, if they have been submitted from the same page as your "blank form", use the values directly from the controls.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Yes, even better point ca8msm..

you can grab the current values just before you go into insert mode, and use them as defaults.

Could somebody provide me with some details on how I would do what has been suggested. I have a four field FormView (and am using the MS Web Developer). Once I click on insert I want the same values to be displayed as the default for the next entry.

Any help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back