Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retaining Downloaded Data that is Edited 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOEYB99

Technical User
Jul 9, 2008
CA

I am using Access 2007, and developing a database for our company that includes data downloaded from the main system. This is not financial data that affects our Financial Statements, and the current main system is getting old in terms of its capabilities.

The downloaded data is run periodically on a history to date basis. That is, we will bring the same data from the previous download, as well as new data.

I want to provide the user with the capability to make changes to this data for their own internal reporting purposes. They can add/modify and 'delete' (i.e. suppress) this data. The challenge here is that when the next download occurs the modified data is retained.

I'm thinking about providing it as an input Form that they could call up records based on basic search criteria.

Can someone please help with suggestions on how to design this? Would I develop another table that tracks these modifications?

Hi, I have done something similar in the past by periodically exporting tables to an external database based on user criteria. In my case, it was several tables on a weekly basis. The customer could copy out the exported tables anytime he liked, and it preserved the integrity of the original data.

Maybe something like that would work. It is fast and easy to do.

HTH,

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back