Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

retain email recieve date when moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newatprogramming

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
US
Hopefully someone can help. I am trying to move a large amount of emails to a network drive for public viewing. The problem I have is that I want to retain the date received on the emails. What I get once I move them is only a modified, created, and accessed date. I have tried saing the mail in a different format, but I want to retain the message mail format. This makes it rather hard when trying to find a email by a date.

What mail client are you using? Also, are you running and exchanger server?

Thanks. :)

I am using MS Outlook. Yes we are using an exhange server. I can move the email into a public folder and it works fine, but that is not what I am trying to do. I am hoping to move the emails onto a network drive into specific project folders. Please help!

Try this:

1. Open the email
2. Go File ->save as...
3. From the Save in: drop down list chose the network drive and project folder you want to save the message in.
4. Name the file. By default it will save as the subject.
5. Save as type: choose .msg if you want to save the email as an email message (this will require whoever wants to open it to have access to Outlook). If you want to save it as a text file or an Outlook template you can do that too. Saving it as a text file allows even users who don't have access to Outlook to open it. If the email has is in htlm format you also have the option of saving it as an .htm file. The .txt and .htm files still show your email headers, etc. when they are opened.

To open the email the user would simply go to the relative projects folder and double click on the file, be it .txt, .oft, msg. or .htm.

If you no longer want the email in your inbox you can delete if from there. For the first couple I would check that you can open them OK from the network drive and that the results are what you are looking for.

HTH.

Cheers.

Oops, sorry. I misunderstood your problem. Let me think about this a bit longer...

What you are suggesting that I do is what I am currently doing. This is where the problem lies that I am having.

Example an email from outlook

header line: FROM SUBJECT RECEIVED
John Doe Message 10/29/03 9:30 AM

next step was to SAVE AS which I would choose msg format

saved location on the network

Current time when I saved. 10/29/03 11:31 AM

header line: NAME TYPE MODIFIED
John Doe Outlook Item 10/29/03 11:31 AM

See here lies the problem. If I move hundreds of emails like this, I would have know idea when I received the email.

PLease help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back