Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retail POS Software Recommendations Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltso

Technical User
Mar 12, 2008
US
A few weeks into this search for a suitable retail POS I am more confused than ever. Have searched this forum and anything else a google reveals. Have researched General Store, Quickbooks, Microsoft, Comcash, Counterpoint, Retail Pro, WASP, Retail Star and others with costs ranging from just $1500 to >$10000 for a server and five terminals. Am looking for software, not hardware. The application is a general store with about 5000 items. Don't need accounting functions. Mainly need inventory, reporting and cash register functions. Printing tickets for deli sandwich orders would be a plus but not necessary. Interface for printing bar codes would be nice. Touch screen buttons necessary. Need an interface with PC Charge.
Please advise and share your experience with any of the above or other programs not listed.

You might want to look at PointGuard. I have done some contract installs with this software in restaurant/bar and it was a pleasure to work with. It looks to have really strong retail features as well with inventory, gift card, reward points, barcode scanning multiple pack sizes... I hear they are completing enterprise reporting with centralized database management as well although I have not worked with that.

I worked with a company called SintelSystems.com they won't focused on the software but did focus on the solution. They know different software applications, security systems and so forth. They were an overall positive company to work with.

Mark P.
Providing Low Cost Powerful Point of Sale Solutions.

There is a free POS software available that will do most of what you want (the touchscreen is limited but works), it supports PC Charge, handles inventory, well over 100 reports, prints barcodes, etc.

You can find it at
The same company offers a product with a full featured touch screen and many more features called POSitive Retail Manager that has a free demo download at

I have worked with ARS solutions. Very easy company to do business with and responsive to the customer. They will sell software only or hardware and software. Training is handled online and over the phone with overall training time taking 3 months or so intense and then up to a year before they cut you lose from training.

For example our training was once a week for the 3 months, then every other week for 3 months and once a month for the rest of the year. I think it really helped because if there were problems with the install or hardware we were not charged for the help.

You won't get any kind of decent touch screen interface with ARSS, we used to use it. Still built on old Fox Pro database technology that's nearing the end of it's life cycle too. Buck - you must have paid an arm and a leg for that much hand holding..?

Microsoft RMS is a good option IMO. Interfaces to Pc-charge, has a nice label designer and theirs some super labeling add-ons for it, great paper trail in regards to inventory, cool reporting, huge support from the Microsoft partner community (add-ons for anything you can dream up), etc.

Worth looking at. My 2 cents

premierpos.com <- i'm liking this, no matter what you do, DO NOT USE RETAIL PRO it sucks soooooo hard.

akalinowski
MCSE 2000, A+, N+, LCP, CNE

Hello Itso.

First of all, I'm not totally sure on the rules of this forum - so if I have done something that violates the rules, I am sorry and please have my post removed.

Ok, now that's out of the way.
Let me introduce our company POSmatic.

I'm sure the name isn't too familiar with anyone. And it is because we've been hiding out in our offices for ages developing a Point of Sale solution that's beyond anything else.

Since I don't want to bore you with all the techno-babble - the best thing would be to request a trial version by contacting us at info@posmatic.com.

We will soon have more details of our latest project on our website very soon.

I am confident that our software can satisfy all of your needs.

Thank you very much for your time. =)

Hmm. I just saw the disclaimer below..
How can I delete or edit the thread?

I wouldn't worry about it PosMatic, innocent enough. Besides the moderator will remove it if necessary. How long have you been selling your software, is it completely new to market?

Jason Johnson
J2 Retail Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back