Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrictions ... cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this compu

Status
Not open for further replies.

K

Programmer
Jul 13, 1999
US
Is anyone familiar with the error message shown below:<br><br>&quot;This application has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.&nbsp;&nbsp;Please contact your system administrator.&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>It appears during an attempt to install and is shown in a window box with the title &quot;Restrictions&quot;.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have plenty of room on my hard drive to install this software.<br><br>Does anyone have any ideas what causes this error and how I might go about finding and/or removing the restrictions that are not allowing this install??<br><br>Thanks!!

Ask your network administrator about the system policies in place on your computer. If he didn't intend to prevent software setup on your computer, it is a minor problem that he can fix very quickly.<br><br>If you are not on a network or the computer in question is for home use, the problem is still minor, but I will need more details to post a fix. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>

I've run into this error on our campus in one of our labs, all security had been disabled and there were no local/network policy's.&nbsp;&nbsp;We tried everything to work around it and finally had to reimage the system.&nbsp;&nbsp;Convienent since it was a lab system.&nbsp;&nbsp;i haven't run into the problem since, but my thoughts always led back to the possibility of some smart-alec student trying to dink around with our security by installing something of their own.&nbsp;&nbsp;We have since found another security application that should take care of that issue completely.&nbsp;&nbsp;But, this was a lab environment on a network, could be a possibility if the system you are dealing with is on a network as mentioned above, or is accessable by numerous people....my 2 cents...<br> <p> <br><a href=mailto: pcheather@home.net> pcheather@home.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

K - there's a fix available at the Microsoft website.&nbsp;&nbsp;Go to the support section, then choose to search the Knowledge base, and type in the error.&nbsp;&nbsp;It will pull up the step by step fix.&nbsp;&nbsp;Hope this helps.

Check out Poledit, available at MS, or do a search on google. it is properly called Policy Editor. It is a nice program to change any restrictions on any machine. I use it to enable regedit and the Display panel at DeVry, but it does a LOT more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back