Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restricting Web Access in IE7

Status
Not open for further replies.

beernut

Technical User
May 12, 2003
US
We have one pc that we log into a web site for data exchange. This pc is in a common area and others occasionally wiil try & use it for personal purposes. We would like to restrict web access to only the one site, and no others. Anyone know of a way?

The pc is not on a domain.

Thanks

Give this a try.

Found it on another page.
What you can do is to go into IE7 and then select Tools and Internet Options. On the Content tab, Enable the Content Advisor. Then click on Settings and the Approved Sites tab. On that tab add the following sites:
Always: whatever site you want to have access to
Never:
That will block all access to the internet except those sites on which you enter as "Always".

Hope that helps.

Regards
Max
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

add a proxy address in tools /internet options/connections/ lan settings say: proxy.no-internet-so-dont-try.com and port 6666 that will knock the internet out!

[cannon] [worm]
"Practice makes Perfect"
("la pratique rend parfait")
CPO rt'd RN

One way to do it is to:

configure IE to use a bogus proxy server that does not exist. In the connections properties you can tell IE to bypass proxy settings for certain websites. Just add your site to that list and you should be good to go. I have done this several times now, it is not the most secure, but it is a quick, easy & dirty way of getting it done.

Jason
"Assumption is the mother of all F*** ups."

hey guys - I have been using the method in the
post by Hitechredneck82: One way to do it is to:

configure IE to use a bogus proxy server that does not exist. In the connections properties you can tell IE to bypass proxy settings for certain websites. Just add your site to that list and you should be good to go. I have done this several times now, it is not the most secure, but it is a quick, easy & dirty way of getting it done.

via GPO and it was working fine till we deployed the servers with IE7 any suggestions?

One note to add from my experience doing this. When that GPO is removed from an assigned user/computer. You will need to manually remove the Proxy settings.

CCNA, A+, HP Certified Professional

you could just make ie open in full screen to that one site by editing the shortcut

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back