Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restricting Users on Creating Folders in Root Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceofbase

MIS
Feb 16, 2004
AU

There is a root folder that I'll call Art. Within Art, I want users to create a folder for each user say Tom, Dick and Harry. I want the users to beable to create files and folders within any of the folders below Art,
but I do not want to allow users to create new folders the root of Art.

Anyone have any ideas on how to restrict users from creating folders,
within a folder, but still allow users to create and edit files.

Are you running Win2k Server, if so, you just only to share the folder for the users. Then on client, they just only can read or write according to the share folders, without going to the upper level of the share folder. Pls try

There's an extended NTFS permission called "Create Folders/Append Data", denying this at the root level only should stop them creating folders there (it would still allow them to create files at the root level though, it's not clear whether you want this).

You can't apply this denial though until the users have created the root folders themselves (you said you wanted the users to initially create the folders...).

You can use the login ID of your users as the folder names. From a text file which lists all your user IDs, you can create a batch file to read this file and create each user's directory (using the FOR command). Then, from the same batch file, you can use XCACLS to set modify permission for each folder.

I have done the following and tested it and it look's like it is working for now that is..

Root Directory (Read, execute and list folder contents)

e.g. E:\Art

Subfolders (Change permission)

e.g. E:\Art\Nick

This is working o.k. at the moment, but it is still in testing mode.

Thanks for help guys..

Just remember that any time a user with Administrator rights creates a new folder on the Root directory, they'll have to set the correct permissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back