Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restricting Users from using database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yardyy

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
GB
Hi, We have several databases that our sales staff use in the field, over the past few months, we have seen several of our databases on warez sites..

Been looking through these forums yessterday and came across thread702-1209686, its been closed a while now, but the suggestion that DRahme made sounded pretty appealing, question is... how would i go about doing this, sfile sounds like a good way of doing it, would anybody be able to tell me where to put the code :

Dim sFile As String
sFile = "C:\Windows\Q366666.Log"
If Dir(sFile) = "" Then
DoCmd.Quit acQuitSaveNone
End If

I tried to put it into a module then call that from a macro that starts the database. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks
Yurov Ardyy

erm, why don't you just have a database password, or use workgroup security files, not a perfect solution but better than the one you're planning to use...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Hi, A far as i know you have to tell the user what the password is, for them to use the datbase, using this other in the thread above you could place a file in the system somewhere, and then the database checks the existence for that file, if it does not exist then it will exit or display a message. sales laptops are always installed in house, so they would not know what this file is and where it is saved..

would it be possible to time restrict a database, or restrict it to a computername, so if the computer name was different the database would not start.

Many Thanks
Yurov Ardyy

yes you could do that, but it'll still be fairly easy to get around though...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

not sure what you mean, but, how would someone find out what method you was using, say if the computername was checked, and the database was moved to a different computer ??

Many Thanks
Yurov Ardyy

A normal user wont know where to look for the file, i suppose you could change the extension to whatever you like, the more obscue the better, i guess even hidden.

thing is, not sure how to make the above bit of code work, where would i need to put that code, is it in a macro or a module ??

Many Thanks
Yurov Ardyy

I just tried in the "on open" event of a form that loads on startup. It works, but I'd personally go with what crowley16 suggests.

Uhhmmn.... just seen it working and crowley16 has a good point. Need to look into passwords and workgroup files

Thanks for your guidance.

Many Thanks
Yurov Ardyy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back