Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restricting Label Editing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommasihno

Technical User
Mar 26, 2009
GB
Hi there,

My problem (!) -- We have a number of staff that use 2410 handsets - and a minority have found out how to edit the button labels on the handsets themselves (Label -> Edit...Save) - so to obscure their real function.

What would be the best way to stop staff from editing these labels? I believe we could add the button name ("aux-work" etc) into the Button Restriction table ("change button-restriction").

However, we normally edit the labels ourselves on the handsets when we install the phones (to display "Break", "Lunch" etc). If we were to add the buttons to the Button Restriction table - would this wipe these values or would they remain as what we edited them to?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions then that would be great - much appreciated!!

PS. There was a similar post about this on thread690-1101295 -- but no solution :-(

hmm, the 24XX i'm not sure, i know on the 46XX & 96XX you can lock down the keypad via the script file.

What harm is it if they relabel the buttons?

Well the phones are agent working - so if someone has edited the button labels (in humour!) - the next agent that uses that phone will not have the correct labels to go on "Lunch", "Break" etc. We report uses the button labels too.

Ideally, I'd edit all the labels on the handsets to what they should be - then add the button types to the Button Restriction table (so no-one can then edit them). If I needed to install a new phone or edit exisiting labels - I'd temporarily remove the button-types from the table.

But I wouldnt want the labels to reset themselves once I've added the button-types to the Button Restriction table (which I think it will do!). I'll have to test it and see what happens.

what if you made the buttons sys-abb buttons & lable those? i dont you can change those from the set

Just thought - the 2410s are digital phones (not IP phones) - so dont think adding the button types into the Button Restriction type table would make a difference.

Will probably just have to send an email out "Please do not edit Button Labels"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back