Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restricting Internet Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevehotchkis

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2002
GB
Hi Guys, i have a problem. I need to block the internet access for one user on windows 2000. It can be for the particular PC if i cant do it based on the user. Can anyone tell me how to do this i cant seem to find out!

Cheers

Steve

How do your users get their Internet access, i.e. proxy server, dial up directly, sharing connection etc?

I don't know the size of you network so this may or may not be practical. but one solotion is to set a static IP on the users machine and an access control list on your border router the will deny that IP access to the internet.

if only that user use that computer, by changing the default gateway under TCP/IP properties, could be enough.If you are using AD, you can do a better job form the server using policies. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Cheers lads i have just changed the default gateway and that has it sorted!

ta very much!

so its working? I'm glad that helped you out. Just be aware that user could change it back again, if he knows how to, and if he/she has access/rights to change it. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

no worries about that! not sure he will be here much longer if you no what i mean!

mm, its a pain..ah?
keep us posted if you have any other problem, we would like to help any time. I'm glad this one was a helpful post for you. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Its a little late, but another easy way is to remove the users rights to Internet Explorer ( the folder and the exe). If he is a power user remove there rights and no matter what he does no internet :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back