Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict users from intercom'ing receptionist 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwoods68

Technical User
Mar 26, 2008
US
Ext 101 is our receptionist and the boss doesn't want other users to intercom her as there might be guests near her desk. How can I restrict my other users from using the auto-icom button to icom 101? We don't mind them intercom'ing each other.

Threaten to fire them. Aside from the obvious (lack of) training issue you might try to enter a personal short code for each user that uses feature busy. I have never tryed this so I could be completely wrong here but:

Ask your boss what his policy will be during an emergency and users can not dial the receptionist?

just my .02

What type of phone is it?? You can disable the loudspeaker in later s/w levels. Would stop them pageing but it wouldn't be heard.

Could work!!!!

Or don't give them a Page button and make them Page via a shortcode

eg *80*N/Page/N

then set *80*101 to Busy.

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Fooball is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

I will assume that simply telling people not to do this and expecting them to understand such a simple rule and follow it would be too much to ask?

Assuming they are entering an extension and not using a BLF although the latter might work as well but I'm to lazy at the moment to test:

Create a SC of *83*N Dial Direct N
Create a SC of *83*101 Busy .
Take off the IAuto button from each phone and replace with Dial *83* and label it "Intercom".

Kyle Holladay
ACA-I, ACA Call Center, ACS-I, ACS-M, TIA-CTP, MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
ACE Implement: IP Office

"If it worked the way it should you wouldn't need me

Good Suggestions! All the users have 4412D+ phones and the receptionist uses a 4424D+ with a DSS 4450. It is convenient to icom your boss to let him know "so and so" is on park 1 but doesn't sound so good to potential clients when one of the assistants icoms the receptionist with "Kim, are you there? Kim? Kim?". I tried asking the main offender to stop icoming the receptionist but to no avail. Would entering a personal short code for each user prevent them from dialing 101 as well? I still need them to be able to call the front desk, just not intercom it. I've only recently joined the firm as their first full-time IT staffer and my IP Office skills are very slim. I appreciate the help and the patience.

Personal Short Codes would do the same.

Jamie Green

The short code listed above adding a 1 before the N.

Change the reception ext to 201.

or, change the receptionist number 101 to a hunt group number, then I do not think you can auto ICOM it. Put the receptionist new ext number in the hunt group, and exclude it from the directory so it does not show up in the PM, or soft console lists to add?

Shoot the ideas down guys, I do not have the system in front of me to test with, or build off it.

aarenot you are good with that idea it works if you put it in the group the phone will only ring, good thinking.
DWOODS68 should give you a star if he uses that idea!

Joe W.

FHandw., ACA, ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

then she gets fired and you can hire a smarter one or just don't tell her, even if it shows in the display. Make it close to her old extension number and say that it is a problem with the display, it might work.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACA, ACS

Just got in the office. Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments. I'll try Kyle and aarenot's suggestions after hours today as I assume this will require a reboot of the system. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

If you do not give her VM on her own personal ext, only on the personal HG she will probably comply with instructions not to give out her ext number.

or the other thought,
I was hoping the replacing the AutoICOM button with a short code that specifies the first digit of the target, and making the reception ext not of that first digit would work.

The system is going to give out her 200 series extension when she dials other users and blow her cover.

Kyle Holladay
ACA-I, ACA Call Center, ACS-I, ACS-M, TIA-CTP, MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
ACE Implement: IP Office

"If it worked the way it should you wouldn't need me

forward her unconditionally to the bosses phone but not the huntgroup calls then people will get a shocl when they try to call her, I would get a chuckle out of that one.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACA, ACS

Kyle... I don't know the term BLF but here's how folks in the office use the ICom button: pickup the handset, press the AutoIcom button, enter the 3 digit ext, start talking. Would your first suggestion be a better solution over changing 101 to 201?

Do sort of what the guys told you to do above only create the shortcode as *83xxx tel N feature dial direct

Then create a shortcode *83recept ext number feat: busy

Then reprogram all the Icom buttons to be Dial and action data to be *83 ONLY

You problem is solved

I would use the short codes as me and Kyle said earlier.

Jamie Green

I added the short codes ronromano suggested and it works perfectly! Thanks again for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back