Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict Reboot on Login Console Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZnSAX

Technical User
Feb 28, 2001
US
I have a ticket open with RedHat, but wonder if anyone else has resolved this.

RedHat 8.0
On the console (GNOME) login screen there are three menus at screen's bottom: Language, Session and System. Under the System menu are choices to "shutdown" and "reboot" the computer.

I want these GONE from GNOME ;-)
I only want reboot / shutdown accessible by 'root' at login, whether command line or GNOME (GUI).

I did rename halt, reboot and poweroff in /usr/bin ... per RedHat's recommendations ... and the "shutdown" choice is gone from that console/welcome screen. But, "reboot the computer" is still there. Arggggggh.

Thanks!

I might be wrong, i haven't used RH8 in a while, but i'm fairly sure there's a way to configure the login screen (GDM)......scout through the menus (prefrences somewhere?) for something to configure login screen :)

If you can't configure the login screen the way you want it you *CAN* do the following:

Find the exectubles for reboot, shutdown, and poweroff

At a shell prompt:> which reboot
:> which shutdown
:> which poweroff

Then issue the following commands at the shell prompt:

chmod 0700 <full path for>/reboot
chmod 0700 <full path for>/shutdown
chmod 0700 <full path for>/poweroff
chown root.root <full path for>/reboot
chown root.root <full path for>/shutdown
chown root.root <full path for>/poweroff

Status