Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict Permissions but allow IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westond

Programmer
Jan 19, 2005
US
How can I restrict permissions but allow some users access to IIS?

Thanks

Do you mean viewing web pages or developing them?

I just want to know if it is possible to restrict a users access to install ect... and still give allow them full rights to IIS.

Thanks

install? install what? IIS?

You install IIS in the control panel under
Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Components

Are you trying to set up a computer for a developer? If so it will save both you and them a bunch of grief if you just bend the rules and give them local admin...

/just sayin'

Westond,
You can use the "Administration Web Site" to allow users to configure IIS through a browser. Check the properties for the "Administration Web Site" to dertermine the port it is listening on. The port varies by install. I usually force mine to 8181 so I can remember it across machines.

enter url like

You will also have to change the security to allow access from computers other than 127.0.0.1. Use the properties|directory security|IP Address restrictions to set up IP addresses or masks that you want to allow.

Jeb
\0

hi, I believe you want to give administrative rights to IIS without being local administrator.

What's your IIS version?

In IIS 4/5, you can define the "operators" (IIS manager, properties on your computer name, in the master properties click edit, operators tab, select your group.

There may be some NTFS ajustments to make such as c:\windows\system32\inetsrv but with a good filemon/regmon you'll isolate permissions issues.

hope this helps

Jeff

Hope this helps. Please let me know if this resolve your issue

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back