Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict network access to certain groups/users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anupnellip

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2002
BH
hii ,
I have a windows 2000 server with active directory . I want to deny them rights to all the network shares . I don’t want to go to each share and remove access . Is there any easier way to do it .
These r remote users and I don’t want them to browse the network and access the shares with everyone permission

Thanks

Anup

Do you have any shares that only have everyone set for the rights? You can cause yourself major headaches by removing the everyone group and then finding out you have no access.

To change access rights whole-scale, you can look at using cacls.exe at the command prompt, which is part of W2K. I would give full access to the system (to allow local access) and then the rights you wish to the everyone group (or any other for that matter....say authenticated users?). Here is a link to help you with the syntax:

Hope this helps!

Gizmo [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back