Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restrict MSN Messenger from signing in automatically 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakis

MIS
Jun 5, 2002
CY
I have downloaded MSN Messenger v5 in my WinXP Pro and it now co-exists with v4.7 that came with XinXP. Since the first time I looged into MSN Messenger v5, every time I open it, it signs me in automatically. I can't remember what I chose the first time I logged in to allow it to sign me in like this. I would like the program to request for my password before it signs me in. I tried several options but it didn't work. I would appreciate your help.

Thank you

Thaks craigey, but that was the first thing I tried. I've tried most of the options there...
-In "Privacy" tab I diselected "Always ask me for my password when checking Hotmail or opening other .NET Passport-enabled Web pages"
-In "General" tab I diselected "Automatic sign in when connected to the Internet"
None of them worked...

The problem remains.

Go to Start > Run > and type in: gpedit.msc
When it opens, expand to: User configuration, Administrative templates, Windows components, Windows messenger.
There are 2 components there, you can enable. One for not starting messenger with Windows, and another to disable completely.
If you only want users to NOT use, then only enable this one.
If you want everyone, including Administrator, to not use, or start it, then go to the same subkeys in Computer configuration. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

If you type ...control userpasswords2.....in the Start Run Box and click on Advanced then Manage Passwords you will be able to remove your password and obtain a prompt for it.

Sorry I couldn't help further, but I don't have MSN messenger or XP on my work PC. So I had to try to remember what the options were, I only got so far as you saw from my previous post!

thanks everybody... problem is sorted out
And linney I have already awarded you with a star to your other post regarding the same issue...

thaks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back