Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restrict long distance, but allow outside dialing

Status
Not open for further replies.

longstreet

Technical User
Nov 15, 2001
US
I've got an opt 11 meridian pbx system. I need to be able to restrict long distance, but allow outside local dialing on campus house phones.

I have heard the term, but I know nothing about it.

It depends whether you are using a DTI/PRI trunk card or an analog one. With the analog it can be done with TARG and TGAR settings but it's more complicated with DTI.

Icelady

thanks so much for responding! I do not have pri, if you can tell me how to do it with the TGAR, I can give it a try and see what happens. thanks

You normally would use TARG & TGAR to restrict direct trunk access to a particualr route by dialing the trunk ACOD.
(If you go into LD 21, do a print for RDB) just hit enter if you do not know the route number. You will see a prompt for ACOD. You will also see TARG. If the TARG matches the TGAR assigned to the telephone, you cannot dial the ACOD directly.

With NARS/BARS if you set TGAR=Yes, BARS/NARS will evaluate the TARG/TGAR as well as the FRL/NCOS of the users telephone. I do not recommend setting TGAR to yes in your ESN data block (LD 86).

Print a couple of things to help us help you.

LD 86
REQ PRT
CUST 0
FEAT ESN

(The primary thing to look for here is see what your AC1 and AC2 is set for)

LD 87
REQ PRT
CUST 0
FEAT NCTL
NRNG 0 99

(The thing to look for here is the FRL to NCOS mapping, there can be a total of 99 NCOS but only 7 FRL's. Usually, you will see NCOS 0 - FRL 0, NCOS 1 - FRL 1, etc..)

Now, once you have identified which AC you use for your dialing prefix, go into LD 90.

REQ PRT
CUST 0
FEAT NET
TRANS (AC1 or AC2)
TYPE NPA
NPA (hit enter)

REQ PRT
CUST 0
FEAT NET
TRANS (AC1 or AC2)
TYPE NXX
NXX (hit enter)

*Note, if your local calling area requires 10 digit dialing, there probably won't be any NXX's.

Look at your Long Distance NPA's and make note of the RLI
Look at your local NPA's and make note of the RLI
Look at your NXX's and make note of the RLI.

In "cleanly" programmed systems, most all of the LD NPA's should point to the same RLI. Same goes for the local NPA's and NXX's.

Now,
Go into LD 86 and print the RLI's that you made note of.

REQ PRT
CUST 0
FEAT RLB
RLB (enter RLI number or enter for all)

Looking at the RLIs, you should see the routes that are used and the FRL required to go out the route.

Lets say your LD NPA's use RLI 5
RLI 5 shows only one ROUTE (Route 2 - SPRINT)
FRL shows 6

If you have a phone with an NCOS 3 (assuming NCOS 3 is mapped to FRL 3), the user would not be able to dial the NPA. THe phone would have to have NCOS 6 or higher (again, assuming the FRLS are mapped to the NCOS properly.

THis should be enough to get you going and seeing how your restrictions are set up. Good Luck!

On ALL the phones you want to restrict you assign a TGAR. Preferably one that is not already in use. Then you assign that number as the TARG on any analog trunk routes (LD 14) that you don't want them to have access to.
Hope this helps.

Icelady

You can restrict certain phones to call out by reducing the NCOS on their phones. Each NCOS is built with certain parameters. Try using NCOS 1 on the phones that you want to restrict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back