Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict FTP users to a directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

talam

MIS
Jun 22, 2001
CA
Is there any way to restrict an FTP user to a specific directory?

I have used RSH, but that only restrict when the user when logged in normally (telnet session). But when the user FTP to the box using the "ftp" command, he can browse to other directories. Can it be restricted?

Thanks in advance.

I am using ProFTPd, the one prexompiled at freeware.bull.net
it has many useful features besides chrooting to ~

This is what I need to do as well, did anyone find a way?

Is this the ONLY solution for AIX to restrict an FTP user to a specific directory?

Thanks!

In /usr/samples/tcpip there is a script named anon.ftp that will set up anonymous ftp for you. You might want to try that, but I would read the System Management Guide: Communications and Networks section on TCP/IP Protocols (at IBM's Web site) and the man page for ftpd.

Be sure to read the script, too, before you run it to make sure it is going to do what you think and want it to do.

Hi,

anon.ftp is for giving anonymous logins. so that you can browse through any browser. Anybody can access the data available on the folder.

Best is to create a group and put only ftp users into that and make chmod 700 for their home dir.

JSiva

Om Maha Ganapathiye Namaga!

with Wu-FTP can you setup individual FTP accounts where users are restricted to their directories only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back