Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restrict email to internal recipients - NO EXTERNAL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzcruse

MIS
Jul 10, 2003
US
I have two (security) groups of users in the domain which need to be restricted to internal sending and receiving of email only. I can restrict incoming successfully, but not outgoing. I do not want these groups to be able to send external email. Presently using Merak email but trying to convert all domain users to Win2K and using OWA (Exch 2003) for email instead of Merak/Outlook Express.

Authenticated users? Can that be set to be the only recipients of these groups' email? If so, what are the specs needed to enforce that? I see that there are ways around it - but can probably do away with the anonymous stuff.

I checked out the options on the default SMTP Virtual Server but that is for relaying email not the sending of email. At least it does not have the effect being sought.

This is a call center setup and the call center itself (in these two groups) need to be restricted to send/receiving email internally. Other users will not be restricted in this manner.

Any and all suggestions would be most welcome. Does not matter if this is by individual user, security group, group OU, even an inclusion/exclusion list somewhere in Exchange where I can add user or group name. Would rather not use IP addresses or IP range for this.

Thanks in advance.

MzCruse

Add an smtp connector, then set the restriction on the connector.

I added an SMTP connector with restrictions and also added a recipient policy for the incoming email removing the .com and adding in a .local as a fake domain. I will be testing tonight. Special thanks to Wes and to xmsre.

So far looks good. Thanks again for the help. Hope someone else can use the advice.

After getting in touch with my friend I had someone hand me a print out from
However it does have some CAUTION statements regarding the connectors. I will be reviewing that. Said it shut down all email, but according to my guru friend, this will work if set up properly. So cross your fingers with me and let's give it a try.

My thought - this print out is over two weeks old, so someone here had the information before bringing in contractors to work on this and other issues.

Thanks to all and to all a big smile.

MzCruse

I think I lost a sentence in between editing and previewing. When the people here tried it, they said it shut down in/out email. The CAUTIONS in the web article are a different topic altogether.

MzCruse

Thanks, the above helped me out BUT.... now I want to allow my users to receive EXTERNAL email from some of our suppliers.

I have added contacts for the addresses I know and this allows external mails in but does anybody know if I can add *@supplier.com?

Shell

Set up a second SMTP connector with the adress space for your suppliers only.

Creating the SMTP connector with @supplier.com in the address space has allowed me to send to the supplier.(thanks)

I have not used a fake domian as above so my users have delivery restrictions to accept mail from limited lists.

Do you know how I allow them to receive mail from my @supplier.com domain?

/extra info.
I have created a contact with the display name and email address for one of the supplier email addresses. My users are able to receive this email with error other @supplier.com messages are returned.

In 2003, you can specifiy allowed and/or prohibited senders on the properties of your smtp virtual server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back