Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Win98 on 6gig caviar 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

techgeezer

Technical User
Oct 20, 2003
US
I finally have the hardware configured as it should be but after running scandisk it says I need to delete FILEnnnn.chk in the root directory. Can anyone tell me how this is done? This a homebuilt computer with an epox ep-3vba3 mobo and 866 proc with a WD Caviar 36400 hd.
I recieved this computer second hand and the hd and on cd-rom were linked together and running in dos mode so I reconfigured. Thanks for any help you can give.

You can either go to my computer, then the c drive, and select the chk file, then hit delete on your keyboard.

You can also open a dos prompt, and type the following

del c:\*.chk

Matt J.

Thanks Matt . I did as you said from the dos prompt. Can't get windows open yet. Now I have a flashing curser and the computer sounds like a very old electromechanical clock. Is it supposed to return to a: when complete? Is it supposed to take a while? It's been doing this for nearly an hour. Should I shut down and restart?

One can help many - many cannot help one

Thanks it seems to be on track again!

Seems like that took a long time, should have taken seconds. Is the drive making noises? Is Windows functional, give me some more details...

Matt J.

The drive made noises for nearly an hour but finallt stopped at the A prompt. I messed up in configuring the HD when trying to get it functioning normally. It seems it was configured LBA originally and I set it up 'Normal' So scandisk redid the files twice and I was unable to recover the original programming. Not much lost that I wanted to keep.I'm still making the mistakes but I'm still learning from them and guys like you. Thanks so much for the help. I reformatted and installed win2k. Now I need to find the driver for modem and software for the burner. Mainly what I was trying to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back