Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restoring W2K pro dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

katsujinken

Programmer
Apr 6, 2001
US
Is it posible to restore dual boot if you install an os after upgrading one of the OS?

Like an idiot, I tried to upgrade Win 95 to 98 and it removed my dual boot startup.:-( is there an easy way to restore this or am I screwed and need to reinstall 2000?
I know you could restore it with NT but how about 2000?
Sempai Ike

If you made an ERD (Emergancy Repair Disk) restoring the boot menu for dual boot is easy. Just boot from either your 4 setup floppies or CDROM and select repair. Follow the prompts. When it asks for your ERD input it. James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

I don't have a current ERD. Could I use one from another machine with a similar configuration?
Which items are used to restore the dualboot? Is the registry required or just the boot.ini? Sempai Ike

Dual boot Config resides in the boot.ini file. If you use an ERD from another machine the Drive have to be partitioned and distributed the same. I don't recommend using another systems ERD. (though I have in the past). It can cause a lot of headaches if things are not IDENTICAL.

With out the ERD you may have to install Win2000 again. Or you can try to repair it. I am not sure if it will work.. James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back