Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring TSM at DR drill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossj

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
US
Hello, I am fairly new with TSM and we have to do a DR drill soon and I would appreciate any suggestions on steps or procedures about this. I assume the first step is to restore the TSM server's OS with the mksysb backup. When is comes to the tsmvg volume group, how does that work? It seems that the savevg is so large that is doesn't seem feasible. Also, what are the steps to restore the TSM server's database and clients? Thanks in advance for any help on this topic!!

We will need more info from you.

What version of TSM?

What version of AIX?

What type of Library?

What type of drives?

Are you backing up the TSM database daily?

What is your current Storage Pool Configuration?

Are you using CopyPools?

Are you using DRM?

Do you backup the Volhist and devcfg daily?

Theres not a lot of point in putting the steps/commands to restoring a TSM server's DB and clients in here when it's clearly outlined in the TSM Admin guide. I would suggest reading about recovering a TSM server in the appropriate section in that guide before asking questions in here.

As for a quick overview on what you'd do it would basically be this..

1. recover TSM server from mksysb.. this assumes you have the same hardware though which in the case of a major DR situation is unlikely. More likely you'll be building a system from scratch. Either way you build a server at the OS-level and get it up and running.

2. create filesystems at least as large as what you had before. You won't be able to recover the TSM database unless you have sufficient space for it. So you should define file systems that will be able to hold it and your recovery log.

3. install TSM from CD and patch it up to level

4. define your devices (library, tape, whatever) that you intend on using for reading your TSM DB tape/backup. If you have the same gear, the device configuration file would be handy. If not it wont really matter..

5. copy over your volume history file if you've saved it (you should've.. if not, you have a bit more work ahead of you).

6. recover your TSM DB

i think thats it.. but i'm going off memory.

We are running TSM 5.1.5 on a 5.2 AIX server. We have a IBM 3584 library with 4 LTO drives inside. We are backing up the TSM database daily. We send a copy of the TSM database backup offsite daily along with the other DR tapes. We are using DRM. We also send off daily a copy of our volhist, devcfg, and prepare on a floppy disk. Our current storage pool consists of DISKPOOL, TAPEPOOL, and COPYPOOL. We backup to DISKPOOL, then migrate to TAPEPOOL, then migrate to COPYPOOL. Thanks for your response and your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Are you migrating to the Copy pool or backing up the Primary Disk Pool to the Copy Pool.

The DRM Prepare plan is intended for you to follow a step by step procedure to recover your server. Follow the Stanzas and you will be OK

Hi,
1. Restore from mksysb tape, this would restore TSM server software.
2. Create TSM volume groups and filesystems
3. Keep all the copy pool tapes handy
4. You need to have an IP Address for your 3584 library
5. Change the 3584 Library ip address in /etc/ibmatl.conf file
6. find the hostname of your ADSM server.
7. Plug the hostname into 3584 library
8. You need to know if your library is automatic or manual
9. Check the communication between 3584 library and the TSM server using mtlib command
mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -qI
10. Use your plan file to recover the database follow the steps in the plan file
11. Put all the copy pool tapes into the library. Make the tapepool destroyed, follow the steps in the plan file.
11. run audit library 3584
12. run checkin libvol command. This should do it. Please let me know how you make out.

We backup to our primary DISKPOOL. Then we have a daily schedule to migrate the data from disk to our TAPEPOOL. We also have a daily schedule that then copies the TAPEPOOL to COPYPOOL for our DR tapes. One more thing, we are going to be going from a IBM P630(which is what we use) to a IBM P650(which is what Sungard has for us). Any issues that you know of with that on the mksysb? Once again, you help is greatly appreciated!

If you are migrating data to the copypool instead of backing up the primary tape pool, you are going to run into problems.

generally speaking if your hardware differs, your mksysb will not work. It will lack the drivers neccessary for your differing hardware. I've heard there is a way to use the mksysb in conjunction with AIX media (i.e. it'll get the drivers from the AIX media) but i haven't done it myself nor do i know how you'd go about doing it. Might be a good question for the AIX forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back