Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring System State Data....

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggedd2k

IS-IT--Management
Nov 9, 2004
GB
I'm carrying out some disaster planning and am trying to restore our system state backup to a test server. The test server is a totally different server (hardware wise) to our main server.

After restoring system state data in the normal way, upon rebooting the system freezes. I believe this is due to the two servers having different hardware. Can anyone confirm this?

Am I right in stating the following:-

1. To restore system state data it must be restored to the same computer it was created on.

2. If a server completely dies and is unusable and a replacement is obtained (different hardware) the system state data cannot be restored to it and a fresh install/setup of AD is required.

thanks

Does it freeze on the Windows 2000 screen (the one with the moving blue line across the bottom).
If so this happened to me in a DR test a few weeks back. try booting into safe mode firast to give windows chance to load the default drivers, then try a clean boot.

yes it does. i'll give it a go.

should you be able to restore system state data to a totally different computer with different hardware??

I don't know about TOTALLY different, but the servers I used in the DR test weren't identical. From what I can gather,you'd probably have mroe of a problem if you were restoring an NT server. 2000's preloaded drivers and plug and play compatability makes it a lot easier to dr onto a non idential box.

freezes each and every time when restarting the machine after restoring system state data from a different server.

it seems clear now that to restore system state data you must be restoring it to an identical computer.

Microsoft seem to inply that as long as the new hardware doesn't require a different HAL then it is possible, i have done it before ages ago as a test but it is probably a shakey area.

"Horsey to king bish three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back