Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Share Permissions to Original Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbieGirl

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2002
CA
ARCserve cannot restore share permissions when files / folders are restored to "original location" - Please tell me this is not true!!!

What is the point of restoring if you have to manually recreate all the shares!

hmmm I'm surprised you can do a restore back to it's original location. I always had to drill down to the Client Agent and select the location to restore to. Even when it's to the same location. When I leave that bullet checked to restore to it's original location it always failed. But the share permissions do get restored with the restore.

I finally found a paper on the ca site. It CANNOT be done unless registry is restored also!! Their answer makes sense though.

The long and short of it:

"Unlike NT directories and files, share information can not be restored directly with ARCserve. That is because share information and permissions are held in Window NT's registry, so in order to restore this data, the registry keys related to shares need tobe restored.

If only data (files and directories) is restored from a backup, but not the registry, shares that existed on the directories originally will not restored."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back