Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Server to different hardware (SATA to SCSI!) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
May 31, 2001
GB
Hi, what is the correct way to restore a Windows 2000 Server to a different machine, with a different RAID controller? I am trying to do full restores from tape of 2 servers into different hardware. One is from a Dell server with a SATA raid controller, which needs to be restored to a different Dell box with a SCSI Perc 3/Di controller, and the other is between 2 Dell boxes again, but both the original and the new servers have SCSI RAID(but different models).

Both will boot up to and past the windows splash screen before blue screening on an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. I have tried running the repair procedure off the windows CD. I reinstalled the correct drivers onto the new servers before rebooting them. I cannot get into Safe Mode or AD restore mode. Can I get out of this? And where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

Adrian.

Hi there,

Am pretty sure you will need the same scsi controller for the restore,i.e identical hardware for the restore. When setting up Win2K you are asked to specify if a 3rd party SCSI controller is in use, press F6 to specify. In this case windows reords this info in its reg. Each time you go to restore, restore happens but windows is trying to boot off a scsi device that doesn't exist on the new/replacement server.Try getting a controller the same as the original and restore to that new server then.

Regards
Greg29

I've had much success restoring to different hardware using the following procedure.

1: Install OS
2: Restore all partitions, except for system partition using NTBACKUP
3: Reboot into DS Restore Mode (F8)
4: Create folder on a data partition and save the following files into it - Boot.ini/hal.dll.
5: Restore system partition, as well as System State.
6: Copy files from step 4 back to original locations.
7: Reboot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and login.
8: Wait until diag box states to reboot after installing devices.
9: Reboot and login. Should be good to go.

Thank you! Not yet tested but it sounds great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back