Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring PUB.EDB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willis99

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2003
US
Some time over the Thanksgiving holidays, my 10mb PUB.EDB file was deleted and not discovered until Monday.

Evidently Exchange recreated a PUB file when it noticed the original one missing.

I have a backup of the PUB.EDB file.

Can I simply just stop Exchange services, copy the original 10mb pub.edb file -- overwriting the recreated pub.edb file?

If not, what do I need to do to get these folders to show up again? Is this a case for ISINTEG?

If you are talking E2K - the use Exchange System Manager to allow overwrite of database by restore.
Dismount the store.
Copy the good pub.edb in
Remount the store.

Forget that - didn't spot the topic before I hit submit :-(

If you bring back an old database with an offline restore, you will have problems with the checkpoint file and transaction logs (which partly belong to the new store). Best to shut down the IS service (which will commit all existing transactions to the database), then rename all the IS *.edb logfiles and the checkpoint file, then restore the old pub.edb, then do a isinteg -patch, then restart the IS. If this is successful you can delete the renamed old logfiles.

If you're unfamiliar with doing this sort of thing, you need to read up on the tools and the procedures first, and double-check your plans before launching out into production. A full offline backup is a good way of ensuring you don't make the current problems worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back