Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restoring only folder permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSMCBackup

Technical User
Apr 24, 2003
GB
Hi,

Ive been asked to restore the NTFS permissions on an entire Public folder on a particular FAP. Path E:\Data\Public\...

Im not sure on how to go about this, can someone advise?

Thanks!

You won't be able to do that with Arcserve, unless you restore the entire \public and subfolders.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,
GSC

Common sense is not so common anymore

Hi,

Thats fine. i think its every subfolder under the Public that has gotten corrupt.

How would I go about it?

This is not something you would just go ahead and do without any planning or testing. You should be aware that you will lose all of the changes that were made to the files under the public folder since your last working backup. The procedure is to do a restore to the original location.

As I said, be aware of the problems you might have if you go ahead and do this. Not to mention very careful.

If you do this wrong and select the wrong files to be restored to the original location, then you will be in over your head.

Cheers,
GSC

So theres no way of just restoring the permissions of the folders, to then propagate this to the files ?

I dont want to overwrite the files with older copies, just replace the associated group membership of the files/folders from a tapeset before they got corrupted.

Hi,
of course it is possible. In Restore manager, in Options - Skip existing files. Then Brightstor will restore the permissions only on folders and the existing files skips. We used this 2 times, when chkdsk wiped out permissions on our file server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back