Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

restoring old Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I had all my databases on a HDD on MS SQL Server 7.0. Now I needed to install a new HDD to replace my old HDD.
I installed SQL Server 7.0, but now what is the best and easier way to get all the databases I had on my older HDD into my new one? I'm not used to SQL Server I hope this is easy to do...

thank you in advance

Can you still access your databases via Enterprise manager on your old HDD??

If so you can use the stored procedure sp_detach_db to dettach your database mdf and ldf files. Move the files to you new HDD and then use sp_attach_db to get them back on-line again.

Failing that if you have any backups you can just restore the databases straight onto your new HDD via Enterprise Manager.

Rick.

thank you for the reply Rick,
I don't seem to know how to do what you said, I mean... I have now the old disk as a slave and the new one as master. On SQLServer it will only appear the databases that are on the new one, but still I have the old ones on the other HDD.
How exatcly am I able to do this? I can't find that stored procedure...

I actually managed to transfer the DBs, by exporting the old DB to a 2nd computer and then importing then them from SQLServer running on the new HDD. The only problem was that I lost the diagrams of the DBs, using import and Export the diagrams won't be transferred for what I've seen or is there a way to do it?

Sorry for taking your time.

Can you still access your old databases via a version of Enterprise manager on your old HDD??

Rick.

Oh the sp_attach_db and sp_detach_db stored procedures are held in the master database.

This is a Northwind database example. Where the physical files Northwind_Data.MDF and LDF are currently held on the C: drive.

sp_attach_db
@dbname = 'Northwind',
@filename1='C:\MSSQL7\DATA\Northwind_Data.MDF',
@filename2='C:\MSSQL7\DATA\Northwind_Log.LDF'

In your example move your files from you old HHD to somewhere on your new. And then tweak the above SQL and run from a Query anlyser window.

Rick.

ok, think I got it now :)
So basically to restore the old DB all that I need is the MDF and LDF files! This is just what I was looking for, you saved my day. I wasn't sure if I could restore a DB by using only those files.
I will try it later hope it will work! Will this also copy the Diagrams from the old DB?

If it isn't asking too much... what is the sp_detach_db stored procedure for? To delete a database from the HDD?

Many Many thanks

Yes all you need is those files for each database you need to restore. The databases will be exactly as there were so your diagarms will also be included.

sp_detach_db deletes the database references from the master database but does not delete the physical mdf or ldf files.

Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back