Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Novell SYS: Volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shemsher

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2002
US
NEED HELP:
I have only one Novell 5.1 Server in a Single Tree environment. I backup daily the Novell server from a NT40 workstation with Backup Exec Version: 8.0 software. My Server was crashed. I reinstalled the Server exactly the same, with the same Server ID. I also installed same service pack as the old server was having. I restore the NDS and other volumes, expect the SYS: volume.

Now my question is that do I have to restore the SYS: volume from my backup to complete the restoration.

Will appreciate your help.

Shemsher

Your question has a number of answers, depending on how you have your system configured. I assume that the server is now up and running.

The simplest answer is go ahead and restore it. You will need to restore if you install anything except basic Netware on the volume. This includes anything that copies anything to sys:System. This would include drivers and NLMs for your backup, communications, etc.

Another option is to reinstall any application that is not working.

If nothing except Netware is installed on SYS, you are probably O.K. and don't need to do anything.

I would say that your best solution is to restore the volume. it'll probably save you time in the long run.

Good luck.

Thanks for your suggestion.

The Server is up and running. The SYS: volume was having only the operating system software with the same service pack, which was the old server having.

In addition one thing is confusing me is that the server is up and running and I if try to do full restoration of SYS: Volume from the backup, can the backup exec over right the loaded modules on a running server and will the server will be stable.

Will appreciate your answer.

Shemsher

Your back-up software determines a lot of that. I can overwrite an NLM with ArcServe without a problem. The server will be fine, and when you reboot, the new NLMs will load. I don't know about BE, but I assume that you can do the same.

If you don't need to restore, don't. You always run the risk of damaging something or having the server down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back