Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restoring Novell Groupwise to a test windows server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ataylor44

Technical User
May 17, 2000
US
Have just got a court order to give them 6 months of e-mail from a user that is still working for us. and I'm not sure how to restore without screwing up the live users account.Can anybody point me to a link or have suggestions on how to do this . Have novell 6.0 Groupwise 6.5 and would like to put this restore on a windows server where as we don't have the room to restore the whole post office to any of our Novell servers.Thank You

It is a fairly complex proceedure to do an offline restore. Why not just change the user's password and access their account?

If you're trying to catch emails the user has deleted, you're going to have to restore every single backup for the last 6 months...

Yeah that is one of our options but it may come down to what has been deleted.Are there any switches to get into the account without changing the password as we don't want this user to know and destroy something that we might need.The last option is to restore the 6 months 1 at a time off hours and just rename the account until we get what we need.Will that cause any problems with the pointers?

As far as I know, changing the password is the only way to examine a user's mailbox without buying 3rd party software. Groupwise is amazingly secure.

What you'll need to do is to create another post office, and point it at the wphosts.db and wpdomain.db files from the restore job. Then connect to that offline PO with Console1 and remove the user's password. Then connect to that account with a client.

If you're going to do very much of this kind of thing, you should take a look at the products offered by Nexic. We've been using them for legal discovery and freedom of info act requests and they have saved us hundreds (if not thousands) of hours. Expensive, but excellent.

Did change the password and logged into the account and the user did still have quite a bit of info that we could use so I just printed that. Thanks I may need to do one restore and that should take care of the problem. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back